Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Transitioning from a stay at home to a FT working mom




HOLY Cow the last few weeks have gone by crazy fast and have been crazy, crazy hectic!

The kids started daycare FT, I started working FT and then the holidays started.

The first 2 weeks were rough - both kids were sick and cranky and not adjusting to daycare well at all.

I was sick with guilt and worry and totally stressed out.

My husband was overwhelmed with all the emotion in the house.
Everything seemed chaotic and time consuming.

However, I had a plan from day one.

Prepare early.

  • Crock Pot Dinners, pre-packing snacks, lunches, diapers, etc...
  • Making dinners after the kids go to bed at night so we can re-heat them the next night when they get home after daycare instead of cooking from scratch.
  • Pre-labeling everything they take to school as soon as I get it. (I feel like a movie star, signing autographs on all their food/snacks with a Sharpie - I don't know how they do it - I get tired after the first 5 jars of baby food)
  • Packing school bags at night so that in the morning all we have to do is grab and go
  • Ordering Groceries online and either picking up through Shop at home, or having Pea Pod Deliver. Both end up costing around the same when you figure out the prices of food, and sales and really - the extra $10 - $14 bucks is way worth it to me because that means neither my husband or I have to waste our minimal "downtime" grocery shopping.
  • I even have a plan for cleaning. I clean in spurts - a little every day. One morning before starting work, I might do the kitchen floor, and then after the kids go to bed, I will do the bathroom - one room at a time and I eventually get to the whole house and don't have to waste time doing it while the kids are awake.
Now, I have to get creative and figure out healthier snacks to send to school for Katie - so far I have jumped on the working mom bandwagon and have been giving her pre-packaged, easy to pack, horribly unhealthy stuff... but I'm working on that part and I try to include at least one piece of fruit or fruit snack cup a day!



This is the 4th full week of this schedule and it is finally starting to click.
I have my energy back, (Thanks to my Thyroid meds) the kids are adjusting and happy at school and like their teachers and they are sleeping better at home.

Dave and I work as a team. We each pack and take the kids to school depending on the day. It would be so much harder if I had to do it all myself all the time. I love that we live 5 mins from school and 10 minutes from Dave's job. It gives us the extra time we need to get everything done so neither of us is completely stressed out.

It's also nice to know that on the 2 days that I make my hour long commute to the office, Dave is 5 minutes away from the daycare in case anything happens.

The only thing missing from my life right now besides a full nights sleep (Ben still wakes up every night) is figuring out how to get some gym time in for myself. Right now, I just can't see going to the classes I love at the gym because they are only offered during family time before bed and I just can't see being away from the kids all day AND at night. I know I could easily work something in for when they go to bed at night - but I've always been total crap at working out at home. Maybe we'll suck it up and get a treadmill or elliptical or something - but for now - I will dream of the spin classes I miss so much!

Who knew that transitioning from Full Time Stay at home mom to Full Time working mom would be such an interesting journey?

So far, it's win win for everyone:)

P.s. this little system of ours worked so well that this morning, when we all woke up at 8 - we were able to both shower, get the kids dressed, fed, out the door and to daycare by 8:40... It was kick ass!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome job. Packing at night certainly makes things easier. Some prepacked snacks aren't bad- aim for those 100 calorie ones, raisins, dried fruit, crackers with...oh can they do peanut butter at school never mind that one might not work, string cheese, and even some of those natural fruit snacks. Just thought I would give a few suggestions.
    Try doing sit ups outside the bathroom while the kids are in the bath. I get a good 10 minute ab workout in that way. I am close enoguh to talk to him, watch what he is doing and I get at least a little work out done. Now that it is getting colder this one is even hard for me...I just can't seem to get up and run in the morning when my bed is warm and I know outside is cold. Oh you could try picking out clothes for the whole week and putting them in one of the hanging shoe organizer things- I saw that somewhere. Even ironing your clothes for the entire week...or do you still get to rock pj's when you work from home LOL.
    Well those are my fulltime mommy thoughts. Things don't always flow smoothly here in the morning but we always seem to get out the door close to on time.

    ReplyDelete