Monday, June 27, 2011

Travelling with 2

First of all, Ben HATED the car - I mean screamed bloody murder from the time his butt hit the seat - so going up to Maine (6.5 hours without any stops) was not something we looked forward to.
But, we had to go up for a Memorial service for our Aunt - so we tried to figure out what we could do.

My friend brought over a Britax convertible seat to try out and he was like a different kid the second he sat in it! No crying or screaming or anything. I tested it for a few days with shorter trips and then made a 2 hour trip to my moms and it was HEAVEN.

So... off we went with a 2.5 year old and a 3 month old.

We broke up the trip in 2 stages - first I took the kids to my moms house (thank god it's on the way to Maine) for 2 nights and then Dave came on the second night to meet us and we left the following morning.

I love seeing our family. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it - but I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE what it does to my kids schedules.

Before we left - Katie was sleeping from 7:45 ish until 7:00 - 7:30 and taking a nap every day - Ben was sleeping from 10 - 4:00 every morning and waking up again around 6 or 6:30.

Then we went to my moms house and Katie didn't nap and Ben started waking up multiple times a night.

I figured... ok - can't be that bad - it will get better when we get to Maine.

NOPE! I couldn't have been more wrong.

While our drive up there was blissfully quiet with a perfectly content 2.5 year old who didn't act out AT ALL and a 3 month old who slept the whole time until we made our first stop in NH to meet Daves mom, the rest of the trip was torture when it came to sleep.

Katie refused to nap for probably 4 days in a row and had awful melt downs every night she did this which made it IMPOSSIBLE to go out to dinner. Ben woke up multiple times a night and wouldn't go back to sleep by himself so he had to stay in bed with me.

We went to a BEAUTIFUL 2 bedroom condo VERY close to Wells, Beach for our last 2 nights in Maine and I was in heaven. Everything was 2 minutes away and the weather was wonderful. (which never happens when we make it up there)

I was trying to enjoy it as much as possible - but on little to no sleep and constant nursing - it makes it kind of hard!!!

Then we went to bed - and the crib they gave us was the smallest crib I've ever seen - which meant Katie woke up for about 3 hours in the middle of the night and eventually fell back asleep in bed with me - while she was sleeping, Ben was awake - so it was awesome.

The second night it was the same.
There I was in heaven by the beach - with 2 kids in my bed - wide awake unable to sleep, nursing or trying to convince Katie that it wasn't morning time because there was light coming in through the curtains. Then we had cranky kids for our afternoons. Still, I thought it's ok - it's a mini vacation - it's no big deal it will work itself out.

Making a long story short - we have been back 5 days now and Katie is now waking up one or 2 times a night - not napping more days than she is and Ben is still waking up 2 - 3 times a night.
They both are up for the day between 5:30 and 6:00

So... as much as I love travelling and seeing people - I'm afraid we will be pent up in our house for the next few months because this stay at home mommy can't take it.

We were all ready to put Ben in Katie's room to share because they were both sleeping so well and now we are going to have to move his crib into our room so that they don't keep each other up and I am pulling my hair out every day around noon wondering if she will take a nap or not.

Does this happen to everyone's kids or just mine? And why does the fall out last for so damn long?

Katie wasn't this bad when it was just her and when it was just her - it was easier to handle - but since there are 2 now - it means I spend most nights awake because either I'm nursing him, or listening to her over the monitor.


Here is hoping that today is the last day we have sleeping trouble for awhile.

I love vacation - but I hate the fall out!

Totally unrelated - but made me smile a little today - Katie has taken to "feeding" her favorite toy... She lifts her shirt up and puts him sideways - at first I was kinda shocked and thought - oh crap - then I realized it's no different than a kid pretending to bottle feed...

1 comment:

  1. I hear you sister. Though on this past trip I think JC was so bored and sick that naps were not the issue but he was waking at about 4am ready to go for the day. Since we would be out visiting people for dinner there was never the same night time routine that we have at home plus this last trip had us changing locations 3 times which meant JC was never really sure where he was waking up.
    We have decided on a staycation for next year.
    Remember to take deep breathes because this too- like the car seat issue- will pass. Praying for some routine and sleep to come back into your lives.