Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Holiday Travel FAIL

I don't know if it was the onset of the Terrible Twos or the fact that Katie had a cold that got worse apparently when we were en route to Thanksgiving but this was the worst travel trip for us ever:(

Luckily my husband is a genius and suggested that I take Katie to my moms house (our first stop on the trip) early in the day versus our usual time which is after work right before bedtime. So, Katie and I didn't hit any traffic - had a successful potty stop and got there with little drama.

She seemed to get worse at my moms house and was quite pitiful laying on the couch watching tv after a failed nap and became emotional about everything.... so we chalked it up to being tired.

Then we went to bed and Katie ended up having to come in to bed with us - kicking me out - so I had about 4 hours of sleep before our 4 - 5 hour drive on Wednesday.

Not to go into too much detail - it just went downhill from there. From having 2 cars for the first part of the trip to having a cranky - sick child and a cranky pregnant wife and hitting traffic- my poor husband is a saint for not leaving us on the side of the road!

At the end of the week, we decided that for the next few holidays we are going to give ourselves a break and not travel and just experience holidays at home. Because our family is all away - we tend to end up packing up the car and traveling to them which has been fine until now, but as I read everyone's FB statuses about having put up their Christmas tree last Friday, etc.... knowing I still had a 6 - 8 hour drive PLUS unpacking to do PLUS grocery shopping to figure out and laundry, etc.... we decided that for Christmas we would invite my parents here and wake up in our house and not have to travel this time.
It will be sad - cause I have to say there is nothing like waking up at my mom and dads house for Christmas... but I know I will feel a million times better being home and not having to deal with the travel and traffic.

Now on to a million things before the next holiday - including deciding whether to put Katie in Daycare for 2 or 3 mornings a week so that she can get some time with other kids and I can work a little in peace and quiet.

I hope all of your Thanksgivings were more successful than mine... Lesson learned - we will fix it for next time:)



No comments:

Post a Comment