Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Going back to Work and Day Care

O.k. so I have decided to pursue the idea of going back to work. Selfishly, I need this for myself for many, many reasons. I also think that in my current state, it would be better for the kids to be with people who have more patience with them and who can teach them new things. (Katie is doing so incredibly well right now learning -it really makes me happy)

So, now begins the job search. In a perfect world, I could go back part time and the kids would only have to be in daycare for half a day and then home with me for the other half - giving me the break I need and them the exposure to other kids I want them to have.

However, no job exists that will pay enough working part time to supply enough money for 2 kids in daycare - even part time. I would be working to make just enough to send them to daycare and that's not what I was looking for.

How do other working moms do it? How do you quantify how much you make versus how much you pay for daycare.

At first, my decision to go back was mostly selfish because we don't really need the money to pay the bills day to day - but then we went and got pre-qualified for a mortgage and ended up getting less than we can actually afford.

(Thank you banking jerks who encouraged people to spend more than they could afford, thus creating the cluster f*&k that is mortgages right now - which is resulting in us not getting as much as we KNOW we could actually afford...)

So, now if we want to buy a house in the next 6 months, I have to go back to work so that we can up the amount for a house because we also have certain requirements we want to stay within during the house search - including staying close to jobs so that we can maximize our time home with the kids - staying close to jobs means - $$$$$$$$ houses and taxes...

So... how much is too little for a paycheck when you have to send your kids to daycare?
How do you deal with the guilt of only making enough money to pay for daycare?
How did you find an affordable daycare that has a good curriculum and nice facilities for your child?

I of course, want it all. High tech facilities, awesome, state certified teachers, nice location with ample play space - well, around here that costs a minimum of 400 - 600 A WEEK for full time care for 2 kids. I feel like I'm drowning in decisions and choices and pressure. I want to make sure I make the best choice for everyone involved and at the same time, I want to make sure I can bring something to the table financially because I think it's time we get a house and really get ourselves settled and start meeting people, getting the kids involved in town, etc...

HELP!

No comments:

Post a Comment